9.11.2008

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL - Photojournalism from kyLA.




i was walking down Melrose the other morning around 10am and passed by this building. i crossed the street and saw a Benz, a BMW and lots of other expensive cars parked in the Starbucks parking lot and wished that I was among the privileged who could afford fancy cars and $5 coffee every day. I kept on walking, caught up in thought, and passed a mother with 3 kids at her sides. The kids looked hungry and mama looked like she'd had enough. Some boys were on the corner huddled in a rap cipher under a billboard of Miles Davis playing his horn. Latin music, then gospel music poured from cars slowly passing by with their windows down and i saw the man in car #1 lean in and kiss the lady who was his passenger. Car #2 hosted an argument (the one with the gospel music). It involved the word b-i-t-c-h and the passenger got out in a flustered mess.
i looked at every one and studied each scenario. I saw the poor, the rich, the wannabe rich...the hungry mother, the stardom-hungry rap circle and a bunch of other passersby, and was suddenly overwhelmed. So much life was around me. So much circumstance. But I just kept walking. Until I saw Billie Holiday. And the words "LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL". It summed up the moment perfectly and stopped me in my tracks.

"life is beautiful", such truth to that. i learned a lesson that day, and appreciate my circumstances and my life even more. That morning on Melrose stuck with me, and I just want to share it with the BNB fam. So just...appreciate life yall.

Thanks for reading.
-kyLA.

5 comments:

  1. brought tears to my eyes kyla... life IS beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...you're the kind of photog we need...www.stageandscreenwriters.com

    you have selected a perfect shot for Black N Bling...i love Billie and the bush and the street sign and the slightly faded look is sumptuous; oh yeah the dry grass and the couch, what details!...nice nice nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. the crazy thing yall, is that i took this pic with my cell phone lol. not even the elaborate DSLR, just my BlackJack. Glad yall are feelin it though, thanks xo.

    ReplyDelete

What You Missed: